California Junior Scholarship Federation
Requirements for Honor Membership
- CJSF Membership is based on scholarship and is gained after qualifying grades are earned each semester. In order to become a member, students must submit an application each semester the student is eligible.
- Eligible students can become members by submitting applications based on their report card grades. Applications can be picked up in the office. The students will only have seven days after the semester ends to turn in the application or the application will not be accepted. This is a by-law of the Federation.
- Membership is for one semester. Conferences are held annually, and student awards recognizing scholastic achievement and community service are presented.
Requirements for Semester Membership
- A point system establishes the membership requirements.
- Academic courses that are eligible are English/Literature, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Reading, Religion, Science, and Social Studies
- A student establishes membership by earning academic points. The number of points earned must be twice the number of academic subjects in which the student is enrolled.
- CJSF semester points are calculated based on grades as follows:
- A = 3 CJSF points
- B = 1 CJSF point
- 1 extra point for an A or a B in an Honors-designated course
- C or Pass = 0 CJSF points
- “D” or “F” in any subject shall disqualify the student from membership for the semester.
- No CJSF points shall be given for Physical Education.
- Qualifying students must earn 20 hours of community service hours for each year
Privileges and Honors awarded:
- An official Honor membership pin shall be awarded to the students who have qualified for honor status at time of their graduation.
- At the time of graduation, the achievement of honor membership will be indicated on your student’s cumulative record that is sent to their high school.
- The names of the graduating honor members will be specially designated as such upon the commencement program and officially announced at the commencement ceremony.
- The honor membership will be indicated on their permanent office cumulative file, transcript and diploma.